Sunday, May 15, 2011

Margarita Party



Margarita Cupcakes, Margarita Cakes and of course Margaritas

My friend sells jewelry, and I decided to help her out and host a Girls Night Out Shopping Party.
Since, I love to have a "theme" for everything....it seemed like a perfect night to make everything "Margarita"
The pitcher had real Margaritas (with Alcohol!),  and the beverage dispenser had lemonade with limes in it for color,  on a separate table I had chips, black bean salsa dip and fruit.
The Margaritas were easy and delicious, I used Jose Cuervo ready made Margaritas WITH alcohol and just poured them over ice. No need for a blender, they were delicious!

As for the desserts, I made Margarita Cupcakes and Margarita Cake!
Here are the recipes

Margarita Cupcakes Recipe

Ingredients:
For the cupcakes
1 box white cake mix
3 egg whites
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lime zest
8 ounces Margarita Mix (without liquor, I used Jose Cuervo)
2 ounces silver tequila
1 ounce triple sec

For the icing
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons margarita mix
3 tablespoons triple sec
6 cups confectioners' sugar

pre heat oven to 350

for cupcakes, mix all ingredients with mixer, line cupcake tins with wrappers, pour mixture into wrappers 2/3 full (makes approximately 21 cupcakes)
bake for 18-20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean and they spring back to touch

let cool before icing

for icing:
beat 2 sticks of butter until fluffy, slowly add confectioners' sugar and liquids, alternating sugar and liquids, gradually add confectioners' sugar until desired frosting consistency is reached (you might need to add more liquids and/or sugar) 

Frost cupcakes, the cake is delicious on own, heavy frosting isn't needed. I just added sprinkles to the rim of cupcakes (like a margarita) and cut up little pieces of lime!

please note, I had small margarita candles (Wilton Brand), that I had purchased previously and had saved in my "party stash box", but I think the cut up fresh lime looked even better!
The best part is the presentation of the cupcakes in the margarita glasses. I used rock salt on the bottom of glasses and simply placed the cupcakes on top. How cute is that!
(By the way, next time I will splurge on the green sprinkles. The  green sprinkles were left over from St. Patty's Day.  I will buy the pretty green crystal sprinkles next time!)



Margarita Cake Recipe
Ingredients:
for cake
1 box lemon cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) box instant lemon pudding mix
1/2 cup frozen limeade concentrate
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
4 large eggs
1/2 cup tequila
2 tablespoons triple sec

for the glaze
2 tablespoons tequila
1 tablespoon triple sec
1/2 tablespoon lime zest
1 tablespoon margarita mix
2 cups confectioners' sugar

preheat oven to 350

combine cake mix with pudding mix, eggs, oil, limeade, tequila, triple sec and water. Mix with electric mixer. Pour into well greased bundt pan.
Bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

Cool on wire rack for 10-15 minutes then remove from pan to cool completely.

Mix all ingredients for glaze with a wire whisk. Add more confectioners' sugar for a thicker glaze. Spoon over cooled cake.

please note...My cake tasted good,even though it was not perfect! I left the cake in the bundt pan too long to cool, and the top of the cake stuck to the pan....ugh....I am sorry it is not picture perfect, but it tasted yummy!

Cheers!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I love your site!! These ideas are awesome and I'm excited to see if I can host some parties like these! Come visit my site if you'd like!

Unknown said...

I was jotting down your margarita cake recipe and realized you don't have oil listed in the recipe but you say to add it to cake ingredients. Did I miss something?

Cheryl said...

quick note...I made a typo on original post and accidentally left out 1/2 cup vegetable oil for the recipe for Margarita Cake...ooops...thanks for the message, I just added the oil to the ingredients list! BTW, this cake is yummy!!!!